- RSS Channel Showcase 4183625
- RSS Channel Showcase 5370052
- RSS Channel Showcase 6913617
- RSS Channel Showcase 7284689
Articles on this Page
- 04/12/14--08:56: _“Love…Electricity…M...
- 05/08/14--20:00: _The Mysterous Balm ...
- 06/12/14--05:21: _The Beauty and Bles...
- 08/20/14--19:33: _When Evil Appears T...
- 09/12/14--07:35: _Innocent But Not Na...
- 11/29/14--18:05: _When Life Gives You...
- 01/18/15--13:58: _The Danger of Bored...
- 02/22/15--11:56: _Hearts + Chocolate ...
- 06/11/15--04:22: _Simple Kindness, Pr...
- 06/27/15--17:17: _Forgiveness: Facing...
- 10/20/15--14:54: _A Lesson On The Hea...
- 05/27/16--07:13: _Back to the Basics:...
- 08/23/16--00:34: _Rule #1 . . . .
- 11/14/16--10:33: _Soul Work: Rx for t...
- 12/20/16--09:49: _Dark and Stormy Nig...
- 02/13/17--20:49: _A Fresh Perspective...
- 03/13/17--04:12: _On Dealing With Fea...
- 05/08/17--10:12: _The Lost Art of God...
- 06/12/17--06:00: _Godly-Discipline: S...
- 07/21/17--06:29: _To Speak Truth In L...
- 04/12/14--08:56: “Love…Electricity…Maybe Some Magic Too.”
- 05/08/14--20:00: The Mysterous Balm of Praise: Not Meant To Be A “Quick Fix”
- 06/12/14--05:21: The Beauty and Blessing of Christian Discipline
- 08/20/14--19:33: When Evil Appears To Have The Upper-Hand . . . .
- 09/12/14--07:35: Innocent But Not Naive . . . .
- 11/29/14--18:05: When Life Gives You Lemons . . . .
- 01/18/15--13:58: The Danger of Boredom . . . .
- 02/22/15--11:56: Hearts + Chocolate = Love . . . REALLY?
- 06/11/15--04:22: Simple Kindness, Prayerfully Applied . . . .
- 06/27/15--17:17: Forgiveness: Facing-Off Evil In The Love And Mercy Of Christ . . . .
- 10/20/15--14:54: A Lesson On The Heart . . . .
- 05/27/16--07:13: Back to the Basics: Love is . . . .
- 08/23/16--00:34: Rule #1 . . . .
- 11/14/16--10:33: Soul Work: Rx for the Weary Heart . . . .
- 12/20/16--09:49: Dark and Stormy Nights: Hope For You and Me . . . .
- 02/13/17--20:49: A Fresh Perspective on Valentines Day . . . .
- 03/13/17--04:12: On Dealing With Fear and Bullies . . . .
- 05/08/17--10:12: The Lost Art of Godly Discipline . . . .
- 06/12/17--06:00: Godly-Discipline: Stubborn, Steadfast, Grace-Centered Love . . . .
- 07/21/17--06:29: To Speak Truth In Love . . . .
“What is the world made of?” I am not sure who asked the question, but I can absolutely picture the thoughtful look on my granddaughter Eliana’s face as her answer floated through the air: one . . . ingredient . . . at a time, “Love… Electricity… Maybe some magic too.” Some people might say that Ellie’s five-year-old view of the world is […]
hisglorysmEliana and her grammie.
I still remember the wonderful relief experienced when, as a child, I had a bad cold and Vicks Vapo-Rub was rubbed onto my chest. I remember how the strong aroma of the menthol seemed to flood my plugged sinuses and filled my lungs to provide almost instant relief. Looking back, I can see how those instances were a balm that not only […]
“Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the Author and Perfecter of our faith who for the joy set before Him, endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider Him who endured such opposition from […]
hisglorysmAfter much training, ready to run the race!The reward for finishing well . . . confidence to face the next challenge!
We live in a frightening world where the thought of turning on the news can fill us with dread. I was stunned last week as I watched and listened to the testimony of a man who had escaped the atrocities being committed against Christians and other religious minorities in the Middle East. The man went into grim detail about what he had witnessed–entire […]
As we face the uncertainty of our times. I write to encourage you with the words of Jesus who warned His disciples in Matthew 10:16, 17a: “I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves. Be on your guard against men . . . .” The […]
hisglorysmShepherd with lamb in Negev riverbed
“Life is hard, but God is so very, very good . . . .” It is a saying I have repeated to myself and to others in recent months after witnessing horrific ugliness on the news, while counseling hurting people or absorbing devastating news from friends and family. In such seasons, when bitterness threatens to overtake […]
hisglorysmPicture of Cross found after the 9/11 attack at Ground Zero. Picture taken by Anne Bybee 3 weeks later.
This week I enjoyed the positive slant of blogger Bunmi Laditan in her post, “Dear Kids: It’s OK to Be Bored,” “Boredom is not a problem to be solved. It is an itch to scratch. Boredom is the dawn of ideas. Boredom is curiosity knocking gently at your mind, asking to play. Being bored is […]
hisglorysmHope-filled steps into the New Year . . . .
It was fun perusing Facebook last weekend to see what others had received on Valentine’s Day–flowers, chocolates and other gifts. However, it was the comments written by single friends that touched me. For many, our cultural emphasis so strongly bent on romantic love, makes the occasion a painful irritant to get through. While there is nothing sacred […]
hisglorysmIt always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." I Corinthians 13:7-8Brother loving brother . . .
It wasn’t until we lived in England, that I learned there is a difference between niceness and kindness. As one friend put it, “Kathie, ice cream is ‘nice’, kindness goes deeper.” Looking at several dictionaries this morning, I found the distinction between the two terms is best understood by considering what is at the root of what niceness […]
hisglorysmLove is kind . . . .
“And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.” Matthew 6:12 It is difficult to make sense of forgiveness, especially when it is extended to someone who brutally snuffed out the lives of innocent family members. Such was the response of a Lancaster, Pennsylvania, Amish community in 2006, when five young girls were […]
hisglorysm"What causes fights and quarrels among you?" James 4:1
Because I was born three years after the conclusion of World War II, I grew up with a lot of questions about the war and why it happened. My biggest question had to do with how any nation could embrace the hatred that resulted in the extermination of six million men, women and children. I […]
It never ceases to amaze me how God uses the simple, very basic elements in life, to deepen our perspective on what is most important. You know, those everyday essentials we take for granted (until there is about to be a shortage. Things like . . . air . . . water . . . or […]
hisglorysmLove is sacrificial . . . .
It began as a joke . . . “Rule #1”. Three simple words born out of necessity–since our camper is equipped with comfortable sleep space and a kitchen of sorts but no bathroom. Simply saying,“Rule #1” expressed what was needed when “nature” called. What inspired it? I’m not sure. Perhaps it was the thought of traveling […]
hisglorysm"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart . . . your soul . . . your mind . . . your strength." Mark 12:30
“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.” Matthew 5:6 We find ourselves weary and discouraged as what was once “unthinkable” has become common place. Even so, I am grateful to report that God continues to impact the hearts and minds of those who hunger and thirst for His perspective […]
hisglorysmCome to Me . . . find rest for your souls.
A medium-sized, square black plate rests on the corner of my desk in the Counseling Room. Most of the year the plate holds a smallish arrangement of flowers that I change with the seasons. Along with the flowers there is a framed cross-stitch that says, “Tears Welcome Here”– words of assurance extended to Clients looking for […]
hisglorysmWaiting . . . .
I had some thoughts to share about Valentines Day, but the honest freshness of my friend Kristy’s perspective expressed it far better. Read it and be blessed: Tomorrow will start the flood on Facebook of all the lovely flowers, candy, jewelry and other niceties given to the many women I know who are committed in […]
hisglorysmLove always hopes, always trusts . . . .
This is the second in a series of posts featuring spiritual lessons God taught me through my family. Over the years these stories have been helpful to many a Client; I share them now in the hope that they might also encourage you. ❤️ There is much talk about bullies/abusers in the world today, but […]
As a child of the 50’s, I grew up thinking discipline was synonymous with punishment. When I became a parent, I accepted the necessity of spanking as part of the arsenal of weapons parents used to communicate the seriousness of their children’s “crimes”. As time passed, however, I became personally convicted about spanking my children, […]
This is the sixth post in a series featuring ways God used my family and the Scriptures to draw me closer to Himself. I share them to urge you, to trust in God no matter what your circumstance may be. ❤️ WORDS TO GROW BY: “Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with […]
WORDS TO GROW BY: “Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by . . . every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming. Instead, SPEAKING THE TRUTH IN LOVE, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of Him who […]